Friday, February 17, 2012

Show Us Your Life---Single Moms

I'm linking up with Kelly over at Kelly's Korner for Show Us Your Life, single moms edition.  I have so been looking forward to this link up.  I am "new" to single mommyhood (it has been only about 9 months), and I would love to be able to connect with other single moms and learn how others view their life as a single mom.


I have to admit, that I was, and still am at times, very nervous to become a single mom.  I was so scared if I could do it all by myself.  I have had to really learn to let things be as God intends them to be, and take life day to day.  Here are a few of my ramblings about being a single mom:


#1: Note to all of you who like to judge, I AM NOT A FAILURE!!  It has taken me a while to be able to say this myself (and honestly I have moments where I find myself still questioning this), but I do not like it one bit when I have others imply that I have failed in any way because I am a single mom.  So what that my marriage didn't work out.  I didn't plan for it to happen.  It's not my fault.  I started out like everyone else planning for it to be my forever, it just wasn't meant to be.  Even though it is hard, it is better for my child to be with two happy parents that are no longer together than to be with parents that are married, but argue and aren't happy!!  I AM NOT A FAILURE, in fact I AM STRONG, INDEPENDENT, and A WONDERFUL MOMMY!!!  Guess what, from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep (and sometimes even through the night) it is all me.  I am the one responsible for everything!  There isn't another parent that I can have watch my son so I can go to the grocery store, go have lunch with a friend, or even go work out.  It's all me!  I don't have the benefit of having someone there to help me day to day.  I am a teacher, a mom, and now a dad too....so the next time you want to judge, stop and think about that!!

#2. Being a single mom is overwhelming, stressful, and even lonely, but being a MOM is the single greatest gift that God has given me!!  Sure, sometimes I would love to be able to go the bathroom without my little one needing to know where I am, but he is the greatest gift I have in my life, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

#3. Just like being a mom doesn't define others, being a single mom doesn't define me.  I have my own wants and things I like to do, I just may have to put some of them off for a while.  I never want anyone to feel sorry for me and act differently around me.  All I want is someone to be understanding.  Yes, my child has to go everywhere with me, sorry, but that's how it works!!  haha!! 


Thanks for stopping by!  I can't wait to check out the other links over at Kelly's Korner and see how you make your life as a single mommy work too!!



5 comments:

  1. Dropped in from Kelly's Korner! I am not a mom yet...but I wanted to give you a pat on the back for your "I am not a failure" statement. Amen! You are NOT a failure! And while this doesn't seem like the perfect plan, as long as you let God guide you, He will make all things good! :) And your sweet little Captain America looks like a pretty great partner in crime to have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you said that being a single mom does not define us - I am going to have to remember that! Love your blog. I am going to have to come back and visit. Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came over from Kelly's blog! You have a beautiful baby & I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go Girl! You are what you decide you are...never let others define you!

    It is scary sometimes, when everything ends with you, but it is also exciting. Keep leaning on God, He is your rock! He knows your heart.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I have been looking forward to Kelly doing Single Mom's for a few weeks now! I am a single mama as well, and know to well the blessings and complications that come along with being a single parent. I am 32 and a single mom of two Lil Ladies, ages 13 and 9, with another Lil Lady due in April. I would love to meet some new friends, and get to know other single mom's and share our lives via blogs, etc!! :)

    ReplyDelete