Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Craft of the Month----Love

Today I am linking up with From Mrs to Mama for her DIY craft of the month.  This month's theme is Love. I was kind of stumped as what to do to be honest.  I thought about it long and hard, and well, I decided I wanted to make decor for my house to go with my other Valentine's Day decor I have up.  As much as I love to decorate for Valentine's Day, I don't necessarily want to see pink, red, and hearts everywhere I turn.  I wanted to make something that you knew it was for Valentine's, but something that had style and was more modern.  So this is what I made...

It's a wall hanging that says Love on it.  Now, I apologize for the quality of the photo!  My camera is on it's last leg, and just doesn't take the best photos anymore.  This was super easy to make and it super inexpensive to make as well!

Here's how I made this just in case you are inspired to make one or one similar to it:

First I bought a 11"X14" canvas at Hobby Lobby that usually retails for $8.99, but was 40% off, and some really cute fabric that was also on sale.  I bought 1/2 yard, so I only paid $2.45 for it.  There was actually plenty of fabric left over to make another one if you want to make a pair, but I am saving it for later for another project.

I then covered the canvas with the material and attached it on the back using hot glue.  After that, I hot glued ribbon to the edges to act as a hanger.  The ribbon is some that I already had at home, but you can purchase it at Hobby Lobby for about $3.99 regular price per roll, but they often have these on sale for 50% off  So it is very inexpensive and you will have plenty for several projects!!

Next I cut out a heart shape out of regular white paper and traced it onto my covered canvas lightly with a pencil.  I then hot glued on these red Gemstones by Paper Studio.  You will find these in the scrapbooking aisle at your craft store.  I already had these, but at Hobby Lobby they run $2.99 per package.  You can also find these on sale every month or so.  I ended up using about three packages for this craft.

This is a shot of me hot gluing on the gemstones. 

When I was done with the heart, I then wrote out the word Love onto the canvas with my pencil and hot glued more gemstones on.  I really like the red, black, and off white.  This was very simple and very inexpensive!  I hope you enjoy!

I can't wait to go back and see what everyone else has come up with!!  Happy crafting!!!





3 comments: